Sault Ste. Marie Animal Clinic is pleased to offer “LigaSure” technology for our patients. Our new state of the art LigaSure unit effectively seals blood vessels by using a unique combination of energy and pressure to fuse and then cut the blood vessels. During certain surgical procedures, the LigaSure is used in place of the traditional method of clamping and tying off arteries and veins using suture material. This allows the blood vessels to be securely and permanently sealed with less handling and trauma to the surrounding tissues. It also eliminates the worry of knots slipping, coming undone or not being tight enough.
The LigaSure technology is used during laparoscopic ovariectomies (lap spays) where the ovaries are removed laparoscopically (through a tiny incision using surgical video cameras). Dr. Palmer has been performing most mid to large breed dog spays laparoscopically for several years now and is thoroughly impressed with the way the patients “bounce back”. Most dogs are up, wagging their tails and ready to go home within a couple of hours of the procedure. The LigaSure unit adds an extra measure of confidence knowing that the blood vessels are completely and permanently sealed. It is also used during emergency procedures and major surgeries where large numbers of blood vessels need to be dealt with quickly such as removing the spleen.
Some facts about LigaSure Technology:
- Provides a combination of pressure and energy to create vessel fusion
- Permanently fuses vessels up to and including 7 mm in diameter and tissue bundles without dissection or isolation
- Average seal cycle is 2 to 4 seconds*
- Seals withstand three times normal systolic blood pressure
- Feedback-controlled response system automatically discontinues energy delivery when the seal cycle is complete, eliminating the guesswork