Chocolate and Lilies…. A Friendly Reminder Some Of Our Favourite Easter Traditions Can Be Hazardous To Our Pets!

Worth repeating…..

As Eater approaches, it is important for pet owners to remember that chocolate is toxic to dogs and Lilies can be very toxic to cats.

Chocolate toxicity in dogs is well understood and dose related. The darker the chocolate, the higher the concentration and the more toxic it is. Also, the smaller the dog is, the more likely they will have had access to/eaten a toxic amount. Signs can range from mild GI upset all the way to seizures and death. To be safe, please keep ALL chocolate well out of reach of all pets! If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, please contact your veterinarian ASAP.

Lily toxicity on the other hand is not well understood. We don’t know why but even a small piece of a leaf or flower from a Lily can cause severe illness and even death from kidney failure. In some cases, it appears that even getting a little bit of pollen on their fur (which the cat licks off) can cause problems. To be safe, do not have Lilies in the house if you have a cat! Early signs of toxicity include drooling, nausea, and vomiting – early treatment leads to a better prognosis so if you think your cat has been exposed lease contact your veterinarian ASAP.

A little prevention can go a long way – lets all have a safe and Happy Easter with our pets 😊

Leave a Reply