Happy Halloween!! A Few Tips For Making it Safe and Fun For Pets!

Hooray!! It’s Halloween and who doesn’t love candy and a chance to dress up? A little planning and a few simple steps can help make sure it is a safe and happy time for your four legged friends and family members as well.

PLEASE KEEP ALL CANDY OUT OF REACH OF PETS!!
Chocolate can be toxic, even fatal to pets if enough is ingested
Some artificial sweeteners (Xylitol) found in sugar free gum and sugar free candy and even some peanut butter can be extremely toxic to pets
Regular candy and wrappers can cause severe stomach upset and in some cases cause pancreatitis – a painful, even life threatening inflammation of the pancreas

If you think your pet has eaten something potentially harmful, contact your veterinarian immediately.

SOME PETS MIGHT FIND HALLOWEEN STRESSFULL OR FRIGHTENING!
Multiple, loud strangers coming to the door in costume
Decorations and toys that move or make scary noises
Loud music and or flashing lights
Excited children and adults (even family members) in costumes making strange noises and being more boisterous than usual
Please give your pet the option of a quiet, secure place away from the commotion. Be aware some pets may ‘bolt’ if near the door!
If you take your pet “Trick or Treating”, for everyone’s safety, please keep them on a leash and make sure they are visible with a reflective collar, leash, vest or lights.

DOES YOUR PET LIKE TO DRESS UP?
Some pets seem to enjoy the extra attention they receive when dressed in costume – but others can be quite stressed by the experience.
If your pet is less enthusiastic about wearing a costume, a colourful bandana may be a good compromise or you may want to skip dressing them up all together.
If your pet enjoys hamming it up (or at least is a good sport about it) Send us a picture – we would love to share

HAPPY HALLOWEEN FROM HUDSON AND THE REST OF THE TEAM AT SAULT STE. MARIE ANIMAL CLINIC

Font Resize
Contrast